Friday, July 21, 2006

French meal in Italy- L'Aillade Toulousaine recipe

This is a sauce made locally here in the Rouergue and which is a traditional addition to magret. I first learned of it from Jeanne Strang's book "Goose Fat & Garlic". I highly recommend this book by the way. If you like the Paula Wolfert book on South Western French cooking you'll also love this book. In addition to the recipies Jeanne describes a way of life that continues in this area, but is slowly fading away.

NOTES:The recipe quantity will serve 4-5 people, but I have discovered that the Aillade freezes beautifully so I usually at least double up & keep a nice pot for next time.
Use walnut oil if at all possible. I've used olive oil & even truffle oil when I didn't have walnut & although they work well its just not quite the same.

Ingredients:

75 grams fresh walnuts
50 grams raw garlic
150 milliliter walnut oil
Salt & pepper
A small handfull of Parsley

Method:

  1. Mix the walnuts & garlic together and process in a food processor or blender until very smooth. You may need to add a bit of water to keep the mixtrure flowing, but not too much. ( the traditional method was to do this step in a mortar & pestle, but the food processor is much easier.)
  2. With the processor running slowly pour in the walnut oil. Process until the Aillade is nicely smooth.
  3. Add salt & pepper to taste.
  4. Add the parsley.
  5. Serve with magret or place into a ramekin, seal with film & freeze.
I know this sounds very garlicy & strong, but believe me it offsets the duck beautifully. My wife always insists on Lyonaise potatoes with this so she can eat more Aillade.

No comments: