Saturday, February 02, 2008

offal - wonderful!

Yummy! We're just home from our offal outing and boy was it good.

Jean had done little starter of home cured ham , slaw with apples and a bit of her fig chutney on the side. Very nice. Then the offal. The fresh lamb liver was out of this world; the heart & kidney complimented as did the soft poached egg & caramelized onions and shoe string potatoes. I thought I'd died & gone to heaven. This meal took me back to my youth and I loved every morsel.

AND we had crepes after all! I bet we were one of the few if not the only gathering to have rice flour crepes. You see Jean is allergic to wheat & it's derivatives so she decided that to make crepes she had to use her rice flour. Thus a rice flour batter cooked in the normal way then topped with freshly squeezed lemon, yellow raisins and sugar. Pretty darn good. Not elegant, but different and eminently edible.

Can't say that I've had many more enjoyable meals recently. Great fun.

And a PS about the cooking. Our friend Jean is blind yet is one of the best & most imaginative cooks I've ever met. Good for her. We're not allowed to use the "B" word anywhere near her.

No comments: